Monday, January 12, 2009

Mexican American??? Indian??? Martian???




Having been in the States for almost 2 years now, I have come to accept that a lot of people think I am Mexican, Brazilian, Peruvian, etc etc. So pretty much people think that I come from South America. So in most cases Hispanics would start to speak to me in Spanish and I would have no clue what they are saying. I would have to just smile and politely say, "I am sorry, I do not speak Spanish. Can you please repeat that in English?". Sometimes I feel as though they think I am being a snobbish Hispanic that refuses to speak her mother tongue...Hahaha...Little do they know that I eat sambal belachan and ikan kering and that mak saya cakap Melayu (my mother speaks Malay)... hahaha... I also get these extra attention from the Hispanics senors who in most cases would stare at me when I go to a Mexican restaurant or just walking around the mall. They are always surprised when I say that I am not one of them and that I come from Malaysia (where the hell is Malaysia is what they would be thinking to themselves! muahhahahha).

People have also thought that I am Native American. Hahaha... Once, Itos and I were at a Museum in Chicago that so happened had a Native American exhibition going on. Coincidentally, I had my hair in braids that day and looked like a Pocahontas wannabe. So a couple of people came up to us and asked us what tribe we belonged to. ehehhehehe...Pretty funny eh.

It is so funny that people can never guess what I am. Even in Malaysia most people assume that I am Indian or Eurasian. Which I am neither. I am Malay/Persian. I remember once when I bought a drink from a roadside stall near Puduraya. I asked the person mending the stall how much the drink cost in Malay and he did not respond. At first I thought he could not talk or something. Then I asked him again and he was just in shock that I could speak in Malay. He said "Kakak boleh cakap Melayu"? (You can speak in Malay?). Hahahah... That was a funny incident which I will never forget.

I wonder whether I would be considered Iranian if I was in Iran... hmmmmm...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I get that when I was in the US too.. I was mistaken for Myanmarese, Mexican and Philipino. hehehe

Banafsheh Bakavoli said...

hehehhe...yeah it's pretty 'interesting' making people guess. It's lots of fun!